Have you tried to open a checking account in Wisconsin, but can’t get approved? It’s probably because you have a negative listing in ChexSystems. Most banks in Wisconsin use ChexSystems to review your banking history.
Fortunately, you still have options. There are several banks that don’t use ChexSystems during the application process, and others that offer second chance checking.
Non-ChexSystems & Second Chance Banks in Wisconsin
Take a look at this comprehensive list of banks and credit unions in Wisconsin that either don’t use ChexSystems, or offer second chance checking accounts.
Aspiration’s Spend & Save Account is a hybrid checking and savings account that is entirely online. There’s a $10 minimum opening deposit to get started.
With an Aspiration debit card, you get unlimited fee-free withdrawals at over 55,000 ATMs and one out-of-network ATM reimbursement per month. You can also get paid up to two days early with direct deposit.
You can earn up to 5.00% APY when you spend $1,000/month and deposits are FDIC insured.
Brewery CU offers a second chance checking account called Fresh Start Checking. A $100 minimum deposit is required to open an account and there is a $6.50 monthly service fee associated with the account. Once an account is open, there is no minimum account balance requirement.
Fresh Start Checking account holders get free online banking, free mobile banking, free telephone banking, unlimited check writing and a free debit card.
They have locations in Milwaukee and Greenfield. To become a member, you must live or work in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, Racine, or Kenosha County.
Crossbridge Community Bank has a Second Chance Checking account for customers who need to repair their checking history. There is a one-time set-up fee of $10, and a $50 minimum deposit is required.
Once the account is established, there is a monthly fee of $10. If you’ve maintained your account with a positive balance for 12 months, you may be able to transfer to a standard checking account with CCB.
Each account comes with online access, online bill pay, mobile banking, and free eStatements. Crossbridge currently has locations in Tomahawk and Merrill.
Educators CU has a second chance checking account to help people establish a positive checking history with ChexSystems. After maintaining a positive account balance for a year, you can transfer to a standard checking account.
Called Fresh Start Checking, this second chance checking account requires a $100 minimum opening balance, and a one-time activation fee of $20. After that, the monthly fee is $10. The monthly fee can be waived if the account holder has three or more Loyalty Pay Back Services.
To join ECU, you must live or work within one of the following service areas:
They have locations in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Racine, Rock, Walworth, Washington, and Waukesha.
Taylor CU does not use ChexSystems to screen new applications. In fact, they don’t use Telecheck, EWS, or even run a credit report. You must be able to provide two forms of ID, and one of them must be government issued.
Secondly, you can’t owe any money from a previous account with TCU. If these two conditions can be met, it’s likely your application will be approved.
They have locations in Abbotsford and Medford. To join, you must fulfill one of the following criteria:
- Have a family member who is already a TCU member
- Live or work within 25-miles of Medford
- Live or work within one of the following counties:
TCU offers a free checking account that does not require a minimum balance and comes with unlimited check writing, online access, and a free Visa debit card.
Chime is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services and debit card provided by The Bancorp Bank N.A. or Stride Bank, N.A.; Members FDIC. Credit Builder card issued by Stride Bank, N.A.
1. Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fees may apply with Chime except at MoneyPass ATMs in a 7-Eleven, or any Allpoint or Visa Plus Alliance ATM.
2. Early access to direct deposit funds depends on the timing of the submission of the payment ﬁle from the payer. Chime generally make these funds available on the day the payment ﬁle is received, which may be up to 2 days earlier than the scheduled payment date.
7. To apply for Credit Builder, you must have received a single qualifying direct deposit of $200 or more to your Checking Account. The qualifying direct deposit must be from your employer, payroll provider, gig economy payer, or beneﬁts payer by Automated Clearing House (ACH) deposit OR Original Credit Transaction (OCT). Bank ACH transfers, Pay Anyone transfers, veriﬁcation or trial deposits from ﬁnancial institutions, peer to peer transfers from services such as PayPal, Cash App, or Venmo, mobile check deposits, cash loads or deposits, one-time direct deposits, such as tax refunds and other similar transactions, and any deposit to which Chime deems to not be a qualifying direct deposit are not qualifying direct deposits.
Non-ChexSystems Banks by State
Looking for more information and additional options available in your area? Select your state from the list below to find out all your options for banking.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington, DC
- West Virginia